We live in an era of technology dominated by software applications and business requirements. Be it a small enterprise or large industry, we can see the impact of digital transformation everywhere. Digital is empowering the world in many ways.
Also called the fourth industrial revolution or Industry 4.0, digital transformation stands on the four pillars of the Internet of Things (IoT), cyber-physical systems, cognitive computing, and cloud computing. These components are bringing rapid transformation to manufacturing technologies and boosting automation. But, all industries want to reap the benefits of digital transformation for economic growth and competitive advantages.
Looking at the importance of digital transformation in the business world, it becomes imperative to answer the question: What methods help us the most? Software developers have talked about the immense benefits of Agile and DevOps, advanced data analytics methods, and DevSecOps as the key software methodologies that have been redefining the process of digital transformation. Most global companies are leveraging Agile and DevOps to deliver the highest standards in customer service.
While companies used the Waterfall model for a long time as the key software development methodology, they’ve switched to Agile for better problem-solving, flexibility, and collaboration. DevOps comes from ‘Development’ (Dev) and ‘Operations’ (Ops). It’s a set of software development practices that shortens systems’ development life cycle.
Role of Agile in Digital Transformation
- In Agile methodology, you define every step of software development. It follows an iterative approach. It makes each phase of digital transformation faster, more reliable, and flexible. It fits in perfectly with the fast-changing preferences and requirements of consumers.
- Organizations are moving away from traditional frameworks for digital transformation. For a smooth transition, they have to take into account things like collaboration, transparency, and accountability, among others, for successful delivery. In such a situation, training is imperative for a smoother change and better outcome. And this shift is being effectively driven by Agile.
- Using Agile, organizations build frameworks that can help them release a particular software solution in rapid iterations.
- Agile also helps organizations to build a secure digital platform.
Role of DevOps in Digital Transformation
Here are the four ways DevOps helps with digital transformation.
Reducing delivery time and development costs
Fast delivery is important for digital transformation. Duplicate work, isolation of multiple teams and departments, and unnecessary delays can make software development costly and inefficient. DevOps bring operation and development teams closer. Thus, it reduces handoffs. Collaboration reduces duplicate work and eliminates unnecessary waits and delays. Overall, it results in savings of both time and money.
Changing cultural mindset
DevOps promotes and encourages automation and collaboration. Automation saves time and reduces the potential for error. Collaboration helps teams deliver high-quality products for their customers. Both automation and collaboration are critical for the success of the digital transformation. This cultural change also enhances the efficiency and satisfaction of team members.
DevOps automates repetitive tasks and saves time for both development and operations. That makes teams happier and gives them more time to focus on innovative activities.
Improving quality of work
The culture of automation and collaboration that DevOps promotes can reduce human error and improve the quality of work.
Benefits of using Agile and DevOps in Digital Transformation include…
- Maximum collaboration
- Better work environment
- Simplified key processes
- Minimum hardware provisioning
- Modern IT infrastructure and applications
- API-enabled legacy systems
- Services with one-click deployment
- Continuous integration and delivery pipeline
- Empowered software teams
Higher customer expectations and the rapidly changing business environment require digital transformation for more efficiency and improved competitiveness. Considering the benefits, DevOps and Agile are going to play an important role in the process. Most global organizations have implemented them or are in the process of doing so. Even if DevOps and Agile will not solve all software development problems, they can help organizations improve customer satisfaction and keep up with the unpredictable business environment.
We at InApp have been leveraging multiple open-source software solutions and cloud-computing platforms to optimize and automate the work of our clients. To learn more about software solutions and services for digital transformation, please contact us here.