Enterprises worldwide including SMEs, Startups, and Fortune 500 leverage technology to take their business to the next level. Most critical transactions or data transfers happen online, which are vulnerable to data hacks. Hence, it is always better to have a data protection and recovery plan, in the case of the occurrence of cloud-based disasters. Cloud-based disaster recovery solutions refer to the task of replicating data or an entire virtual machine to the cloud. Many data centers have inbuilt disaster recovery mechanisms. A few steps to ensure you have a proper disaster recovery plan;
- Go over your Requirements: Assessing your needs should be the first priority. This will help in determining the infrastructure & configuration required for cloud-based data protection.
- Identifying a solution partner/ provider: The second step after you’ve tabulated your requirements is to choose a reliable cloud-based disaster recovery solution partner/provider that will meet your needs. Always look for reviews and satisfied clients before coming down to a conclusion.
- Check on Monthly Costs: The net payable cost depends on items including monthly subscription fees, bandwidth usage, storage space, number of virtual machines (VMs), etc. Cost is always a factor when on Cloud, hence always tabulate monthly
- Strategize Bandwidth Usage: Always have a strategy in place to avoid a disaster that may occur due to over-consumption of bandwidth on a certain website or application. This will help in providing the necessary bandwidth for backup.
- VM Replication: For Image-based recovery and mounting & extracting cloud-based copies, VM Replication techniques need to be applied. Many enterprises use this method to use the cloud for disaster recovery.