While the metaverse remains mostly a theoretical concept at this time, software developers can already see the possibilities — and the challenges.
Because the metaverse can be used for almost anything in the real world (including socialization, work, content creation, shopping, entertainment, financial transactions, and more), its impact will alter the future of a wide range of industries.
DevOps offers the benefits of a continuous integration and development pipeline with a build-test-release cycle that can meet those challenges.
What Is the Metaverse?
The metaverse is an immersive internet experience that lets you replace or augment reality with computerized simulations that strive to be as realistic as possible. The metaverse will use tools based on Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and emerging technologies to overlap the physical and digital worlds for end users. AR can expand the ways devices can help with everyday activities like searching for information, shopping, and creating content. VR lets you experience what it’s like to go anywhere — whether it’s a real-life event or an imaginary world.
What Are the Challenges of the Metaverse?
Even, in theory, the metaverse presents the IT world with new and unknown situations. Like any emerging technology, some of those issues may not be obvious at first. However, developers can count on needing solutions for challenges like…
- Data security and privacy
- High cost and availability of AR and VR hardware/devices
- Marketplace competition
- Property rights
- New platforms and tools
- User physical and mental health
- Financial transactions
- Legal jurisdictions
How Can DevOps Help with Metaverse Challenges
Automation in DevOps includes the build-test-release cycle with continuous integration and development pipelines. That can help in the metaverse in multiple ways.
- Continuous delivery will likely become even more important in the metaverse, where demand will require constant updates and innovation to maintain the pace.
- The DevOps feedback loop that includes end-users will help with optimizing the user interface (UI) and experience.
- Collaboration between developers and IT operations will provide a strong foundation as teams expand.
- The build-test-release cycle can help with incorporating new tools in applications built for the metaverse.
- DevOps teams typically have experience with adapting to emerging technologies, with relatively recent examples like the cloud and Artificial Intelligence.
As a set of practices and tools, DevOps enables the collaboration of IT operations and development teams throughout the entire software development lifecycle. Using automation, DevOps agile methodologies can integrate operations in a seamless workflow.
Many industry experts believe DevOps is the key to winning the race to the metaverse. This strategy to develop and release software applications will likely be a vital tool as more companies leap into the metaverse and its possibilities.
Have questions about the metaverse and how it might affect your business? Contact InApp. We can help you get a jump on the competition.